|PAULINA VEGA (Miss Universe Organization) DONALD TRUMP (Getty Images)|
Miss Universe 2014 Paulina Vega finally speaks out regarding Donald Trump's controversial anti-illegal immigration remarks
|DONALD TRUMP / Getty Images|
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Miss USA pageant, left without a TV home following blowback against co-owner Donald Trump over his comments on Mexican immigrants, has been rescued by the Reelz channel.
In a statement Thursday, Reelz CEO Stan E. Hubbard said the cable and satellite channel acquired the rights because of a belief that the pageant and the women who compete in it "are an integral part of American tradition."
"As one of only a few independent networks, we decided to exercise our own voice and committed ourselves to bringing this pageant to American viewers everywhere," Hubbard said.
While Reelz, which reaches 70 million homes, said it considered the interests of Miss USA contestants, the host city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and viewers in making its decision, it made no mention of Trump or the hot water he's found himself in since he announced his presidential bid in June.
The statement also did not include details on how Reelz acquired the rights to broadcast the pageant that is a joint venture between Trump and NBC, as is Miss Universe. NBC cited Trump's comments on immigrants in announcing it is cutting business ties with him.
Trump's presidential campaign announcement contained his assertion that some Mexican immigrants to the United States bring drugs and crime, and some are rapists.
Trump declined to comment on the Reelz acquisition.
This isn't the first time Reelz has gone its own way. When the History channel dropped "The Kennedys" miniseries that had been made for it, saying it didn't fit its brand, Reelz aired it in 2011 and was rewarded with record channel ratings and awards attention.
Reelz said the Miss USA pageant will be televised July 12, its originally scheduled date on NBC. The pageant will have to scramble after a mass exodus of performers, hosts and judges who cited opposition to Trump's views as the reason.
Rapper Flo Rida had been the highest profile performer scheduled for Miss USA, and his representative confirmed Wednesday that he wouldn't perform. Country singer Craig Wayne Boyd, winner of "The Voice" last year, and pop singer Natalie La Rose also dropped out. There were no more announced performers.
In a Miss USA news release last month, the judges were listed as HGTV star Jonathan Scott, country singer Jessie James Decker, E! News anchor Terrence Jenkins, TV host and former Miss Universe winner Zuleyka Rivera and Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith.
Of that quintet, only Decker's name was listed as a judge by Miss USA on its website Wednesday. That's the day Smith dropped out.
The pageant lost both of its co-hosts, Cheryl Burke of "Dancing With the Stars" and MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts, on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Jeannie Mai, who hosted a show on the Style Network, was listed as a show host.
Last week, the hosts of the now-abandoned Univision Spanish-language simulcast, Roselyn Sanchez and Cristian de la Fuente, said they wouldn't take part in it.
Trump's campaign comments struck many Latinos as insensitive, and Univision's decision last week to back out of televising Miss USA and break off its business ties with Trump led to a cascade of others following suit. Trump responded by suing Univision on Tuesday.
Aside from the pageant world, there has growing fallout on other fronts for the GOP presidential hopeful and businessman.
On Wednesday, the Macy's department store chain, which carried a Donald Trump menswear line, said it was "distressed" by Trump's remarks and was ending its relationship with him.
Trump said in a statement that he had decided to end his relationship with Macy's because of pressure on them by outside sources.
"Both Macy's and NBC totally caved at the first sight of potential difficulty with special interest groups who are nothing more than professional agitators," Trump said.
Also on Wednesday, New York City officials said they were reviewing the city's contracts with Trump in light of his comments, and Mayor Bill de Blasio issued a statement calling them "disgusting and offensive," adding that "this hateful language has no place in our city."
The Trump Organization currently operates several city concessions, including a golf course, ice skating rink and carousel.
Representatives for Trump did not respond Wednesday to an email seeking comment on the city's review.
The PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, USGA and PGA of America also on Wednesday distanced themselves from Trump in a statement and said his remarks were "inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf."
Gov. Susana Martinez of New Mexico, the nation's only Latina governor and a rising star in the Republican party, added her voice Wednesday to criticism of the GOP presidential hopeful, denouncing his comments as "horrible."
Source: USNews, July 2, 2015
Donald Trump says Univision and NBC "abandoned" the 51 women vying for the Miss USA crown by canceling the upcoming pageant telecast.
Organizers of the annual event, half-owned by Trump and scheduled for July 12, are arranging for a live-stream of the pageant now that the two networks have backed out of airing it.
Univision and NBC did so, they said, because of the offensive nature of Trump's comments about Mexican immigrants. The broadcasters were facing sustained protests from Hispanic leadership groups.
Trump, however, didn't mention the Hispanic community's outcry during an event for his presidential campaign in New Hampshire on Tuesday evening. Instead he focused on the "51 wonderful girls" who were affected by the cancellation.
"What NBC and Univision did to these young women was disgraceful," Trump said.
Trump said he'd be traveling to Louisiana next week to attend the pageant.
The controversy over Trump's depictions of some immigrants as "rapists" and "drug-dealers" came to a head last week when Univision canceled its plans to air Miss USA and all future events produced by the Miss Universe Organization.
Trump owns half of the organization that oversees both the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants. NBCUniversal owns the other half.
NBC followed Univision on Monday and said it would not air Miss USA, either.
On Tuesday afternoon Trump said he was filing a $500 million lawsuit against Univision. He did not mention a potential suit against NBC.
|Trump with Miss USA 2013 Erin Brady|
Earlier on Tuesday, the organizers of Miss USA vowed to move forward with the event, despite NBC's decision to pull it from the schedule.
"We are disheartened by recent events but the show will go on," the Miss Universe organization said in a statement Tuesday morning. "We are moving forward, full-steam ahead as planned for the next two weeks, culminating in the crowning of a new Miss USA on July 12."
But the event faced another setback in the afternoon when professional dancer Cheryl Burke said she'd no longer serve as co-host of the pageant. A short while later, a spokesman for NBC confirmed that the other co-host, MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts, had also withdrawn from hosting duties.
|Cheryl Burke, Thomas Roberts and Miss USA 2014 Nia Sanchez attend the 2015 NBC New York Summer Press Day on June 24, 2015 in New York City|
|Miss Kansas Alexis Railsback says the Miss USA pageant is suffering because of Trump|
|(Foto: Leonardo Rodrigues/MMB)|
Less than 48 hours after being crowned Miss World Brazil 2015, Ana Luísa Castro (Miss Sergipe, right) was forced to give up her crown when it was discovered that she is married to a Belgian model and actor. Castro's first runner-up, Catharina Choi Nunes, 25 (Miss Ilhabela, left) has been elevated as the new queen.
Choi represented Brazil in Miss Earth 2013 where she placed fourth and earned the title of Miss Earth Fire 2013. She is also known by her Korean name Choi Song-ee. Catharina was born and raised in São Paulo, Brazil. Her mother is Korean and her father is half-Spanish and half-Portuguese born in Brazil.
|(Foto: Leonardo Rodrigues/MMB)|
|ANA LUISA & HER BELGIAN HUSBAND TANGUY / Foto: Reprodução|
Ana Luisa Castro Anderson, 23, representing Sergipe, became the second black woman to be crowned Miss World Brazil on July 27, 2015 in Florianopolis. She will now compete in Miss World 2015 pageant to be held in Sanya, China in December. At the same event, Anderson Tomazini, 26, of Ilhabela was selected as Mister Brazil 2015 and will compete in the next edition of Mr. World.
Hours after her coronation, a Brazilian news outlet "O Globo" published an article claiming that Castro is married to Belgian model and actor, Tanguy Backer. If the claim proved to be true, then her first runner-up, Catharina Choi, could take over her crown.
Presidential candidate and mogul Donald Trump says he plans to sue media giant Univision for "hundreds of millions of dollars" for severing ties with him and the Miss Universe Pageant organization.
Univision had said earlier Thursday that because of offensive comments Trump made about Mexico and Mexicans when he launched his campaign, it was breaking off with the pageant organization – of which Trump is an owner – and that it would not air the event on July 12.
Trump told Fox News’ Gretchen Carlson that Univision was breaching its contract to air the pageant for five years.
“I’m going to have to sue Univision now because I speak negatively about trade with Mexico," he said. "Univision says you have to stop talking badly about Mexico... They have a signed contract."
Trump, during the interview, did not back down from the statements he said about Mexico – but he said his words were twisted and he did not disparage all Mexicans or Latinos in general.
Latinas have played a major role in the Miss Universe pageant, winning the crown 23 times since 1952. In 2014, contestants from roughly 24 Latino countries participated.
The contract with Univision, which Trump said was a five-year, $15 million deal, was signed in January.
"They can't do this," he said. "They want me to stop saying the facts."
Univision officials told Fox News Latino they would not comment beyond this morning's statement.
But some of the news division's biggest stars -- including anchors Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos, both Mexican-American -- didn't hesitate to weigh in or suggest they agreed with Univision's move.
Anchor Maria Elena Salinas tweeted "@Univision ends it's relationship with Donald Trump over insensitive comments re Mexican immigrants. Miss universe will not be broadcast."
Ramos tweeted: "Mr. Trump. Words matter and have consequences. Try running your hotels without Mexicans." And later he tweeted: "Mr. Trump: words matter. Univision won't broadcast his Miss Universe."
Michael Cohen, one of Trump's lawyers, said he was in the process of hiring outside counsel to take legal action.
"We intend to pursue all legal rights and remedies available to Mr. Trump pursuant to the terms of the license agreement as well as a defamation case against Univision," Cohen said.
Trump said in his campaign speech that Mexico imports to the United States drug dealers, rapists, and others who have an adverse impact on this country.
The candidate says, "I love the Mexican people, but I'm running for President and our country comes first."
Trump said Univision apologized to him after it made its announcement about the pageant, and told him they found themselves in a difficult spot.
In Thursday's statement, Univision said it had seen the "the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country. We will not be airing the Miss USA pageant on July 12th or working on any other projects tied to the Trump Organization."
"Univision News and the local news division will continue to provide comprehensive coverage of all candidates, including Mr. Trump, to ensure our audience continues to have access to all points of view."
The mayor of Doral, Fla., the most recent location to host the Miss Universe Pageant, said Univision is right not to air the event.
“What he said about Mexicans was wrong, it was rude,” said Mayor Luigi Boria, who is of Venezuelan descent, in an interview with Fox News Latino. “The whole Latino community should care about what he said about Mexicans. We are all part of the Hispanic community. I agree with the Mexican community, they deserve respect.”
Boria said Trump must apologize.
“He better retract what he said before this grows even bigger,” Boria said. Many Latinos here and in Latin America, he said, “grow up watching Miss Universe.”
SOURCE: FoxNews Latino, 6/25/2015
Miss Universe 2015: Lupita Jones May Remove Mexico From Competition Following Donald Trump's Controversial Comments
Lupita Jones is not happy with the comments Donald Trump made about Mexicans, and it is because of this that the pageant director is considering removing Mexico from the Miss Universe competition.
The Mexican ex-beauty queen posted a statement on her Twitter account stating that due to the recent comments about Mexico the actress was concerned about the participation of the country in the popular competition.
"Following the first statements made by Donald Trump, where he openly showed his enmity with Mexico, as national Director of Nuestra Belleza Mexico I go in direct contact with the director of the organization, Paula Shugart, to know the position of the Mexican representative in the Organization," said Jones.
"She assured me that there will be a respectful, dignified and fair treatment of Wendy Esparza. I trust in the seriousness, honesty and professionalism of Paula Shugart."
The comments to which Jones refers are those made by Trump when announcing his bid for the presidency last week. Trump made comments about immigrants from Mexico, which caused a stir online and had many celebrities and Latinos criticizing him and denouncing his campaign.
Trump called Mexican immigrants "people with lot of problems" and said Mexico is sending the U.S. "drugs and crime" as well as "rapists."
It is due to such negative comments, according to La Opinión, that Jones made a public statement about Mexico's future in the Miss Universe competition, which is run by Trump.
"I will keep in touch with her and in the moment I think I'm putting at risk the integrity and dignity of our representative, I will put in consideration the participation of Wendy in Miss Universe," Jones said.
Jones won the title of Miss Universe for Mexico in 1991. She went on to produce a variety of winners for Mexico in several pageant competitions as pageant director. In 2010, 19 years after she won the competition herself, her efforts produced a winner for Mexico at the Miss Universe pageant.
Wendy Esparza, who is 23 and a journalist, is set to represent Mexico when the Miss Universe pageant takes place later this year.
Source: Latinpost.com, 6/22/2015
Vaimiti Teiefitu, 18, was crowned Miss Tahiti 2015 Friday night at an outdoor ceremony at the Mairie de Papeete. Her court includes 1st runner-up Wayan Dedieu, 23 , and 2nd runner-up Océane Duchemin, 22. Heru Shan Hang, 19, was named Miss Heiva Vaimiti will represent Tahiti at Miss France 2016 to be held in December in Lille.
During the ceremony, the president of the Miss France Organization, Sylvie Tellier, awarded Hinarere Taputu (above) with the Miss World France 2015 title. Taputu was Miss Tahiti 2015 and first runner-up to Miss France 2014 Camille Cerf. Hinarere will represent France at Miss World 2015 to take place in Sanya, China in December.
Greta Galassi, 17, from Rovereto, was crowned Miss World Italy 2015 Saturday, June 13 at Teatro Italia di Gallipoli. She will compete in 2015 Miss World pageant to be held in Sanya, China in December.
|Greta Galassi with Claudia Russo (left) and Sarah Baderna, Miss World Italy 2008 and 2012 respectively.|