And the winner is... Miss Transformational. Runners-up include Miss Take Up Space and Miss Mental Awareness.
2022 pageantry was characterized by transformations starting with new ownership of the Miss Universe Organization. For the first time in its 71-year history, MUO is no longer owned by an American but by a foreigner - a Thai entrepreneur who happens to be a transwoman. Dramatic scandals afflicted the Miss USA system which led to director Crystle Stewart being suspended and her husband Max Sebrechts being fired from his post. This was followed by Miss USA contestants who took up space on their social media to question the official results. The death by suicide of Cheslie Kryst traumatized the pageant industry and mental health all of a sudden became everyone's buzz word. Miss World learned a hard lesson not to do business with friends. The Covid-19 pandemic seemed to have dissipated, which allowed Miss International to stage its 60th edition in December after three years of absence. A cautious Miss Earth produced a hybrid pageant consisting of virtual prelims and real staging for the finals. Miss Supranational crowned a former Miss Universe finalist while Miss Grand International sensationalized the month-long pageant that included the contestants wetting and sullying their gowns as they rushed to the beach.
ADIEU SYLVIE: Sylvie Tellier, Miss France 2002, has resigned from her job as national director of Miss France Committee. She has held the post for 17 years. Sylvie posted a touching message on her Instagram account where she thanks her supporters and encourages them to support her with her future plans. However, she did not give the reason for her retirement.
According to the French newspaper Le Point, it is possible that Sylvie is displeased with the new direction under the new CEO of Miss France, Alexia Laroche-Joubert. Since becoming the new boss a year ago, Alexia has allowed transsexuals, married women, divorced women and single women with children to compete in the pageant - changes that Sylvie - a traditionalist - couldn’t accept. Cindy Fabre, Miss France 2005, is reportedly replacing Sylvie as director.
Under Sylvie’s directorship, France has enjoyed several placements in Miss Universe (including a win in 2016 with Iris Mittenaere) and two first-runner-up spots in Miss World 2013 with Marine Orphelin and in Miss World 2019 with Ophély Mézino.
ADIOS, QUERIDA FERNANDA! On November 17, Miss Universe Bolivia Fernanda Pavisic allegedly made fun of the official photos of some of her fellow delegates on the Miss Universe app.This video, which was posted on her IG story, seems to indicate that she was. One could also hear another woman’s voice named “Camila” who mocked with her. Hours after posting the video on her IG story. Pavisic received tremendous backlash from pageant fans some of whom demanded that she should be banned from competing in Miss Universe next January - which prompted her to post a video a few hours later in which she explains that her video was a “social experiment.” As a consequence of her unqueenly deed, Pavisic was dethroned and replaced by Camila Sanabria who represented Bolivia in Miss Grand International 2022 last October 25 in Indonesia.
GRAND ANIMOSITY: On her Instagram post in early October, Miss Grand Ukraine 2022 Olga Vasyliv expressed her “rage and pain” after reading a letter from the Miss Grand International organization advising her that her roommate would be the Russian representative Ekaterina Astashenkoy. Olga calls Russia a “terrorist country” in the light of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine which began in February 2022 and resulted in a war between the two countries that continues to this day. The Ukrainian beauty tagged MGI President Nawat Itsaragrisil and told him that she is “also for peace, for love, friendship, and support but not for those who I cannot forgive.” She also pleaded with the pageant community to share her story and to message Nawat to disqualify the Russian representative. Frankly, it was a terrible idea for MGI to even think of putting Ukraine and Russia as roommates without first consulting with either contestant. It’s like putting mortal enemies Israel and Lebanon in the same room.
SIGNIFICANT VICTORIES: - Lalela Mswane of South Africa was crowned Miss Supranational 2022 in Malopolska, Poland on July 15. She made history by becoming the first South African winner, the first black winner, and the first former Miss Universe contestant to have placed in top 5 and won Miss Supranational. Lalela was second runner-up in Miss Universe 2021.
- R’Bonney Gabriel, 26, a model and fashion designer representing the city of Friendswood, was crowned Miss Texas USA 2022 on July 2nd. She is the first Filipina and the first Asian American to win the state title. Gabriel was first runner-up last year. For the first time in the history of Texan pageantry, two Filipinas represented the Lone Star State respectively at Miss USA and Miss America 2022 pageants. Averie Bishop, who was crowned on June 25 as Miss Texas 2022, is also Filipina and also the first Filipina and the first Asian-American to win Miss Texas.
- On November 29, Mina Sue Choi became the first Korean woman to win Miss Earth, and the only second Korean woman to win a major pageant (Jenny Kim was crowned Miss Supranational 2017). Miss Earth also saw the first representative from Palestine, Nadeen Ayoub, making the finals of any major international pageant. Nadeen was crowned Miss Earth Water 2022 (third place).
- Germany's Jasmin Selberg, 22, was crowned Miss International 2022 during the pageant's 60th anniversary on December 13 in Tokyo, Japan. She is the third German to win the crown after Ingrid Fifi Finger in 1965 and Iris Klein in 1989. Savannah Lynn Delos Santos also made history by being the first representative from Northern Marianas to place in any major pageant by making it in the top 15 and by winning the most popular vote for the Asia/Pacific region.
- Le Nguyen Bao Ngoc of Vietnam won the first Miss Intercontinental crown for her country during the finals held in Egypt on October 14.
- Anabel Payano of the Dominican Republic won the first Miss Globe crown for her country during the finals held in Albania on October 15.
- On March 27, a pair of Vermont sisters (above photo) made pageant history. For the first time ever, sisters were crowned Miss Vermont USA and Miss Vermont Teen USA - a situation that has never happened before in the Miss USA pageant system. Kenzie and Kelsey Golonka are from Montpelier. They won their new titles over the weekend. Kelsey Golonka was crowned Miss Vermont USA 2022 while younger sister Kenzie Golonka was crowned Miss Vermont Teen USA 2022. Kelsey made the top 12 in Miss USA 2022.
- Luis Daniel Galvez of Cuba won the first Mister Supranational title for his country during the finals in Poland on July 16.
- Miguel Angel Lucas Carrasco of Spain, who won Mister Global 2022 last March in Thailand, has been dethroned for failing to fulfill his responsibilities and replaced by the 1st runner-up, Danh Chieu Linh from Vietnam.
- Lochian Carey of Australia won Manhunt International 2022 on October 1 in the Philippines. He is the second man from his country to win the title.
- José López Duvon of Puerto Rico won Mr. Gay World 2022 on October 15 in South Africa.
- Manuel Franco of the Dominican Republic won the first Mister International title for his country during an event held in the Philippines on October 30.
- Kendall Switzenberg of the USA won Caballero Universal 2022 on December 2 in the Dominican Republic.
January 27 - Nica Zosa became the first winner of Miss Summit International contest held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
March 17 - Kathleen Patton was crowned Miss Eco International 2022 in Egypt
March 30 - Jerelleen Rodriguez was crowned Reina Internacional del Chocolate 2022 in Panama
June 11 - Shane Tormes was crowned Miss Global 2022 in Vietnam
June 25 - Fuschia Anne Ravena was crowned Miss International Queen 2022 in Thailand
August 7 - Joanna Camelle Mercado was crowned Miss United Continents 2022 in Ecuador
October 15 - Alexandra Rosales was crowned Miss Supermodel Worldwide 2022 in India
October 16 - Camacho Elcid won Mr. Universe 2022 in India
November 25 - Jovy Bequillo became the first winner of Man Hot Star International in Thailand
November 27 - John Ernest Tanting won Mister Beauté Internationale 2022 in Türkiye
Zoe Bethel, who represented Alabama during the Miss For America Strong 2021 pageant, died after “falling out” of a Miami hotel in February. Her death was considered by the police as accidental. She left behind a 5-year-old daughter.
Kailia Posey, one of the child stars of Toddlers & Tiaras, died by suicide on May 2. She was just 16 years old. Posey was best known for being featured in one episode of “Toddlers & Tiaras,” a TLC reality TV series that focused on the families of children who competed in beauty pageant competitions.
Amelia Aboud Michael Sky, who represented the South Sudan in several pageants most notably Miss Environmental International 2022 where she placed third, died at 27 on September 12 from throat infection and not from being murdered as some pageant sites had falsely reported.